Monday, October 16, 2006

Behavioral Style Selling - The Concept

Learning to sell to different styles of buyers has been taught for a long time. There are all types of assessments that can be administered and all types of descriptions that come from the results. Labels describing members of the animal kingdom, colors of all kinds, letters describing deep psychological behaviors and the list goes on and on...

These are interesting concepts and they have a firm place in training and coaching. However the most important thing about this concept, is the concept itself.

You see, the fact that two totally different people, can buy the same product or service, for two totally different reasons, is huge. As soon as you realize that the way you approach each person depends on those differences, the sooner you will be closing more sales with less effort.

For example, let's say I was looking to purchase a new Lexus GS 430 and you were looking at a new Lexus GS 430. I have done my homework and built the car online dozens of times. I know what I want from the engine size to the color of the interior. Money is not an issue for me.

Let's say you walk onto a Lexus dealers lot just messing around on a Saturday afternoon. You see a GS 430 and you want it instantly. Money is not an issue for you.

If the same sales professional engages me, and two hours later approaches you, they better know how to determine what benefits are important to me and what benefits are important to you. Here's why... it's very possible I want the vehicle for different reasons than the other buyer and it's guaranteed that I will expect the sales experience to be different from the person that will walk into a dealership and drop 50K just because they were driving by and liked what they saw.

I highly recommend that if you haven't been trained in behavior style selling that you get trained. Now that you know of the "concept" you can begin to the learning process of identifying behavior styles and how they like to be persuaded.

TK

No comments: